The history of the cabin, from what we can tell, goes back to before 1920. Before that, history is a bit murkier, with many logging camps in and around the area.
Logging Camp
Pre 1920
There were ton’s of logging camps in the area and we were told that what is now the backyard once had a dormitory building/tent of sorts for local loggers. So, it would make sense that the kitchen cabin structure would have possibly served the loggers staying on the property.
Looking at the way the original log cabin structure (kitchen) and related foundation was built, it looks as though what is now the kitchen was the “original” kitchen cabin before the front fireplace room and additional dining room and other side (which was a garage until the 1970s) were added.
RJ Hoock Resort
E1920-1939
Ray and his wife Alma began and owned the resort from an estimated 1920 until they sold the resort to Bert and Lillian Carlson, who then changed the name to Carlson’s Big Lake Cabins in 1939.

Carlson’s Big Lake Cabins
1939-1950
Bert Carlson, who was born in Sweden in 1884, lived in Wausau for 40 years and was employed by the Wisconsin Public Service Corporation for 25 years before purchasing the resort in 1939 from Ray and Alma Hoock.

Carlson’s used our cabin as their main lodge, kitchen, dining room, and family cabin while they rented out their smaller cabins, boats, etc. on Big Lake.

Otterpohl’s Resort
1950-1975
Bert Carlson passed away in 1949. The Otterpohl family (Bernard H Otterpohl) purchased the cabin from the Carlson family and continued to run the resort with the cabin used in the same way.
The Otterpohl family had 10 children (Willie and Sam mentioned below), with the boys sleeping in what was the bait shop side and the girl’s sleeping in the attic (which explains the windows on the back fascade). They had a front desk and check-in area in the fireplace room and used the main room as a dining room for guests. Fish and other consumables were stored in freezers in the basement.

Willie Otterpohl is one of the best stone masons in Wisconsin and lives down the road from the cabin. He is actually doing all of the stone work on the cabin, literally feet from where he slept and grew up.
Willie indicated that there used to be a shed in what is now the open back yard which contained a generator. The generator was actually the a 4 cylinder engine from a Willy’s Jeep that was set up to produce electricity for lights in the cabins along the lake.
Sam Otterpohl also lives nearby on Palmer Lake Road and is the Fire Chief for Land O Lakes and holds various political seats in the area.
Resort is Sold and Split- ~1975
In the mid 1970s, the family cabin (this cabin) as well as all of the cabins on Big Lake were sold to Hunter Realty. They then split up the cabins into individual lots and sold them off, one by one. The family cabin was purchased by Whitey and Bernice Nowak
Whitey’s Bait and Tackle
1975-2010

Whitey and Bernice Nowak took over the cabin in the early 1970s. Whitey ran a bait shop and small store out of one side of the cabin. Many folks stopped by to grab bait, get tips, and purchase other snacks, on the way to the Big Lake launch down the road. Legend has it that when famous folks were in the area, they would stop by and see Whitey before heading to the lakes. See an article featuring Whitey from the Wausau Herald here.

We’ve been told that Bill Murray, Tom Selleck, and Nick Nolte among others were visitors. This is where we began the term, “Bait Shop Cabin.” Hanging on the wall of the bait shop and still in reasonably good shape was a mounted musky, caught in Big Lake in 1933.
With over 7500 acres of land (and lakes) owned by Notre Dame University right down the road, we are sure there were some visits by higher up university and religious officials as well, with some stopping by to get bait (as if they needed bait on their private and stocked ponds).
Whitey & Bea’s Cabin
2010-2019
Whitey shut down the bait shop in about 2010. He and his wife Bernice lived in the cabin until 2019. Unfortunately, Whitey passed away in early 2019 and the cabin was put up for sale in mid-2019 for the next owner to give the cabin some TLC.
Twin Pines
2019-Present
After some major tree triming, grading, and related outdoor work in the fall of 2019 after it was purchased, there were two towering pines overlooking the cabin. The name, “Twin Pines” stuck as the cabin began its transformation.

